Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Get As Much As You Can Out Of Training

What do you get out of training? In reality, you should be getting as much as possible. I have worked in adult education for over thirty years and one of the trends I see is that people do just enough to pass the training program. I don't know why especially when some training programs are so expensive. If I was paying for training today - I would get as much as I could out it. I would be wanting to get my money's worth - not just hoping to buy the piece of paper that said I had completed the training.

How would you feel if you were moving house and the removalist only did half the job? What if his answer to you complaint was that you lacked an Understanding Moving Services because he was getting paid by the hour, not the job and you only paid for so many hours. Likewise a plumber. You call him in to do a job but he can only complete so much of it. Why not complete the rest? "I don't know how to complete it" he says. "But you're a licensed plumber" is your response. His quick reply - "yes, but I only studied enough to pass the exams, this part wasn't in the exam so I didn't study it".

I don't think anyone would be impressed. If you are going to sign up for training - go in with a sponge for a brain. If you are going to study medical transcription, don't ask What Does Medical Transcription Training Teach You? Instead, tell yourself you want to learn everything that they can throw at you. It is only a short training period - it's not like you have to spend the rest of your life in the classroom.

Whether it is taking a short course to learn how to operate a computer, or a course on how to build a web site, the only way to become proficient is by learning as much as possible. Learning to operate heavy equipment only takes three weeks. You can scrape by or you can learn as much as possible. With Backhoes Under Challenge From Excavators, it makes sense to learn how to operate an excavator as well as a backhoe if it is on offer.

Training is expensive - get the most out of it. It's strange, if we purchased a pound of sugar - we want the whole pound. If we purchase training, we only want the piece of paper. Come buy sugar from me - I will give you the piece of paper - the paper bag it should have come in.

No comments:

Post a Comment